Monday, December 10, 2018

Morgan Jenkins's "The Elephant in the Room" after Billie Grace Lynn


Morgan Jenkins shares her poem with the tour at Hickory Museum of Art on October 13, 2018. Billie Grace Lynn's sculpture was included in the BLOW UP exhibit.


THE ELEPHANT IN THE ROOM
by Morgan Jenkins
after White Elephant 1 by Billie Grace Lynn

The Elephant in the room.
It often keeps me up,
Wondering how different things might be
Without that Elephant.

Oh Elephant in the room,
Please teach me how to change.
I want to; I wish to, but I can't.
Not without you, Elephant.

Mr. Elephant in my room,
Why are you so bright? Are you a white liar? 
Or maybe trying to hide the pain deep inside?
I can't go on without knowing, my dear Elephant.

Dear Mr. Elephant in this lonely room,
Please be careful. Please watch over me.
Please don't step on me; I'm already walked over like a doormat.
Please Elephant, I can't do this without you.

This Elephant in the room,
It proves that better is coming; things are changing.
I might just change too. But I can't.
Not without that Elephant.

This Elephant in my room,
Promise me if I change, you'll change too?
Promise me you won't leave me all alone.
I can't keep going without my Elephant.

The Elephant in the room.
People start to notice you,
And they try to change you.
But please don't change without me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Melissa Hager's "Love Is" after Sarah Jayne Kennedy

LOVE IS...  by Melissa Hager after Two of Us by Sarah Jayne Kennedy Drawing a line in the sand to judge who's i...