Monday, November 26, 2018

Mikayah Parson's "Sugar and Spice" after Connie Bostic


Mikayah Parsons photographed on October 13, 2018 between the Connie Bostic works that inspired her at Art of Poetry Catawba Valley's tour of Hickory Museum of Art. 


SUGAR AND SPICE
by Mikayah Parsons
after Sugar and Spice by Connie Bostic

Sugar, spice, and everything nice. 
Surrounded by shapes, surrounded by life. 
They label me with numbers; 
"Stay still. Don't move."
They beg me, "Suck in. There can always be more room." 
Sugar, spice, and everything nice. 

They tell me to smile. I think that I do. 
"No, that's too much. Be simple. Be you."
I push my chin out, pout like a doll. 
This gets them cheering, "Now, do that for them all!"
Sugar, spice, and everything nice. 

I'm growing into my curves, 
But they make me insecure. 
"Don't be so prudish," they urge. 

"Be ladylike. Purge." 
During the break, I sneak away to eat,
But their eyes are upon me, forcing me to retreat. 
Sugar, spice, and everything nice. 

They compliment me. 
"Kid, you're doing great! Give yourself a pat on the back!"
But all I feel is hate, waiting for them to attack.
They shower me with flowers, with smiles and applause,
But deeper still inside myself, I'm hiding from their claws.
Sugar, spice, and everything nice. 

"Don't you want to be just like her?"
They crowd around me, ask me for my name.
I put my pen to paper, and smile behind my shame.
The little girls all smile at me, they show me how they pose. 
Too bad they'll never make it in the industry
If I'm one to suppose.
Sugar, spice, and everything nice.

In the dressing room, they whisper about me. 
Their tones are far from hushed. 
"I remember when she was a fat little thing.
Her hair was rarely brushed."
I tug my locks self-consciously. 
Their snickers make me retch. 
I hear my name from center stage. 
"Go on, little doggie. Fetch."
Sugar, spice, and everything nice.

All I wanted was to be a good girl, the kind they talk about in the movies and on TV. 
All I ever wanted was to be happy.
But they took my dreams and used them against me, 
And the standards became like family. 
I look in the mirror, stroking my face.
"One day, little princess. One day, one day."
Sugar,
Spice,
Nothing else will suffice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Melissa Hager's "Love Is" after Sarah Jayne Kennedy

LOVE IS...  by Melissa Hager after Two of Us by Sarah Jayne Kennedy Drawing a line in the sand to judge who's i...